Estevez-Pazos Law Firm Logo

How to Establish Paternity if You are Unmarried

PaternityWhen a child is born in a marriage, it is presumed that the husband is the paternal father of the baby; therefore, he is granted paternity rights.

But just because you have a child, doesn't mean that you are necessarily married or in a committed relationship. Today, it is very common for parents to have children out of wed lock.

While the concept of paternity is obvious and self-explanatory, there are instances where you may need to establish that paternity for possible legal action later.

Also Read : Tips for Playing Fair While Negotiating Parental Responsibility

Why Establish Paternity?

By establishing legal paternity, you give yourself important rights when it comes to raising your child. One of the most important is parenting time, whether you and the mother are together now or may split in the future. By establishing paternity, you can also prove your case in the event you need to seek sole custody of the child.

Paternity is also important if the mother is married or in a relationship with another person. Establishing paternity will ensure that the father or other man in the child’s life cannot be named as the legal father of the child.

Lastly, establishing your paternity can block the mother’s attempt to give up the child for adoption - if she chooses to do so.

How Can You Establish Paternity?

You have a few options when establishing paternity. The most popular include:

  • Voluntary - If the paternity is not disputed by the mother, you can establish through voluntary declaration. That means signing a declaration of paternity when the child is born. This is usually offered at the hospital for no cost.
  • Court Order - Paternity can also be established through a court order. But, this requires a paternity test (via DNA).
  • Administrative Order - Paternity may be ordered by an agency to collect child support. In these instances the administrative order would be filed by the agency overseeing the request.

Need to Establish Paternity? Meet with a Family Attorney

Do not try to establish paternity alone, let the team at Estevez-Pazos help. If you need to establish paternity, it is best to enlist the help of a family attorney.

The attorneys at Estevez-Pazos law firm can assist you with your paternity order, help you locate a reputable DNA testing facility and file your paperwork with the court.

Contact us today  at 305-717-7130 for a consultation regarding your case and we can tell you right away if we are able to help.

Contact Us

Contact Form


The Estevez-Pazos Law Firm, P.A.

135 San Lorenzo Avenue, Suite 650
Coral Gables, Florida 33146
Fax: 305-234-7028
© 2022, Estevez-Pazos Law Firm. All Rights Reserved. | Digital Marketing By  
  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy