Estevez-Pazos Law Firm Logo

How to deal with Former Spouse After a Divorce

Communicate with Former Spouse After a DivorceThe process of going through a divorce is emotionally difficult for anyone but the situation can easily become inflamed when you have to continue communicating with your former spouse as it relates to time sharing, schedules and changes with regard to custody.

Even when both parents no longer live together, they are inextricably linked in the care of their children, particularly when time sharing is relatively split between the options.

This is why you need to consult with an experienced attorney as soon as possible if you find yourself in this situation of having contentious arguments over time sharing and visitation with the other spouse.

In the event that a visitation agreement has already been reached, you may experience challenges if the other party struggles to communicate with you. In this situation these communication issues may ultimately form the basis of a modification request or may even escalate to the level of litigation if you are not able to resolve them on your own.

If you're struggling to communicate with your former spouse, contact an attorney as soon as possible. These are the following tips you can use to help protect yourself if you find yourself in this situation.

Rely On Written Communication

Although text messages and phone calls certainly have their value, having a written record of what was said and when can be extremely helpful if the other spouse is alleging that he or she was never kept informed.

This is one of the leading reasons that communication breakdowns occur between parents who still need to keep in touch regarding the children's welfare. Emails are an excellent way to keep in touch and have a document about when the material was sent and what you both agreed on.

You may follow up with text messages to ensure that the material was received but it's much better to have a written track record that you can reflect back on. If the other party is not adhering to the time sharing schedule, for example, this would be a good opportunity for you to have a paper trail indicating such.

Try to Advise of Changes Well in Advance

In the event that there needs to be a change to the existing time sharing schedule, one of the most important things you can do to minimize drama is to let the other party know sooner rather than later.

Sharing that you're planning to go on vacation with the kids with one week's notice probably gives the other parent very little opportunity to adjust their own schedule and it can even lead to problems between the two of you because the other party may feel angry that you did not keep them in the loop. This is why you need to give them plenty of advance notice.

Your former spouse does not need to know all the details about exactly where you're going on vacation when it comes to things like hotel rooms, etc. but it is a good idea to have an emergency contact who does have this information. Your former spouse does have the right to know where their children are going and you keeping them informed can help to minimize conflicts between the two of you.

Recognize When an Issue Has Escalated

if the communication between you and your spouse has gotten to the point of becoming threatening or harassing, you need to consult with your Florida family lawyer as soon as possible about your rights.

You may be able to address this situation after speaking with a lawyer and having a lawyer reach out on your behalf. Likewise, your lawyer may also draft motions for modification of the time sharing agreement and visitation schedule to reflect the issues that have emerged.

Get Help from Divorce Lawyer at Florida Today

Bear in mind that choosing to go to your  Miami divorce lawyer first rather than having a conversation with your former spouse can make the situation much more problematic.

It is strongly recommended that you try to work things out on your own first before turning to your lawyer for assistance. However, your lawyer can often help to move forward a delayed or stalled issue in the event that this describes your situation.

Know tips for making your blended family work:


Contact Us

Contact Form


The Estevez-Pazos Law Firm, P.A.

135 San Lorenzo Avenue, Suite 650
Coral Gables, Florida 33146
Fax: 305-234-7028
© 2022, Estevez-Pazos Law Firm. All Rights Reserved. | Digital Marketing By  
  |  Disclaimer  |  Privacy Policy